Reclaiming the Lost Identity of Arlington County Through the Lens of Green Valley
Date and Time for this Past Event
- Thursday, Feb 24, 2022 12:00pm-1:00pm
Livestreamed from the Black Heritage Museum of Arlington
Join us for a virtual discussion livestreamed from the Black Heritage Museum of Arlington on the development of African American communities in Arlington County. Dr. Lindsey Bestebreurtje, a historian of African American History and Culture, will begin the discussion sharing details of Arlington County's first predominantly Black communities, specifically the communities within East Arlington, as well as the history of the Green Valley neighborhood, shedding a light on suburbanization, social systems of inequality, and segregation in the mid-20th Century.
Following Dr. Bestebreurtje's presentation, Mrs. Portia Clark and Dr. Alfred Taylor, two well-known community activists and researchers, will join the discussion to share a historical and first-hand narrative on the evolution of the Green Valley community, one of the area's first predominantly Black neighborhoods. This discussion will highlight stories of the original creators and innovators who helped build, shape and influence not only the Green Valley community, but also the greater Arlington community, despite the laws of Virginia that often denied them access to the educational, financial and land purchasing opportunities to enable them to compete on level playing ground.
- Dr. Lindsey Bestebreurtje, PhD, Historian of African American History and Culture, Smithsonian National Museum (Moderator)
- Mrs. Portia Clark, Arlington Community Activist and Researcher
- Dr. Alfred Taylor Jr., PhD, Author, Arlington Community Activist and Researcher
Please note, we will be providing a free copy of Dr. Alfred Taylor Jr.'s book, "Bridge Builders of Nauck/Green Valley," to the first 100 registrants. If you are interested in receiving this book, please add your shipping information when registering for the event.
* Photo Citations:
- "Hopkins map of Alexandria County." Photograph. Library of Congress Map 53000779
- "Green Valley Pharmacy." Photograph. Arlington Public Library
- Arlington Public Library Black Heritage Museum of Arlington, VA. National Landing
- "Farm Security Administration Collection." Prints and Photographs Division. Library of Congress
- "Nauck, ca. 1970." Phoograph. Built By the People Themselves, accessed February 11, 2022